Blackened Salmon Cakes with Greens
Delightful mini salmon cakes sit atop a bed of greens drizzled with a sweet onion citrus dressing for this light and tasty meal.
Cook Time: 55 mins.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Vidalia Onion Citrus Dressing
- 1 cup diced Vidalia onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces skinless sockeye, half finely minced, half coarsely chopped (substitute flaked canned salmon)
- 1/2 cup diced Vidalia onion or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spice mix
- 1 tablespoon butter, for frying
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Lettuce of choice
- Pumpkin seeds
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh dill
Stir spice mix ingredients together in a bowl. Store in an airtight container.
Add onion citrus dressing ingredients to an immersion blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Store in fridge.
Add salmon cakes ingredients (except the butter and olive oil)to a medium bowl and mix until combined. Use a 1/4 cup dry measuring scoop and portion 7 cakes, lightly pressing together with damp hands. Place on a plate and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to encourage cakes to keep their shape. To prepare for later, continue to refrigerate until 20 minutes before meal, then cook.
In a cast iron skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. Once pan sizzles, add a few cakes (do not crowd) and cook each side for 5 minutes until golden brown. Repeat on opposite side and continue until all cakes are cooked.
Toss greens with a drizzle of dressing. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, herbs, and add salmon cakes. Serve immediately.